Friday, August 7, 2009

The Covenant Prayer


I came across this great prayer of surrender recently by John Wesley. It fits so much the need for complete dependence on God in these uncertain times:

I am no longer my own but yours.

Your will, not mine, be done in all things,
wherever you may place me,
in all that I do and in all that I may endure;
when there is work for me and when there is none;
when I am troubled and when I am at peace.

Your will be done
when I am valued and when I am disregarded;
when I find fulfillment and when it is lacking;
when I have all things, and when I have nothing.

I willingly offer all I have and am to serve you,
as and where you choose.

Glorious and blessed God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit,
you are mine and I am yours,
may it be so for ever.

Let this covenant now made on earth be fulfilled in heaven.
Amen.

4 comments:

Jesse Baker said...

Love this! thanks for sharing it.

Jenna Love said...

Hi Dean~
Thanks for posting this prayer. I'm all about surrender these days. I have a special place in the woods where I walk that is at the top of a valley. And when I reach it, I always stop there and say a prayer of surrender for the things I need to leave behind and trust God to be in control of. I've done this for 5 months or so, and it has made a huge difference each time I offer up the issues that seem to overwhelm me. It is changing me!

In the words of your friend from yesterday, "May the peace of Christ be with you."

~Jenna

Jessi said...

Hey,
I go to Woodmont Hills and just posted about yesterday's sermon...and then I found your blog!
I've really enjoyed your Watermark series. Thanks for your words and challenges each week.
Blessings.
Jessi

Clark Coleman said...

Greetings from your old home in Charlottesville. I am reminded of a true story from Wesley's life. He was a humble preacher making the apprentice wages of 30 shillings a month. He learned to give a few shillings back to the church and eke out a living on the rest.

Then he got a new position that doubled his income to 60 shillings a month. He reasoned that he could live on less than 30 shillings, so he continued to live the exact same lifestyle and increased his church contribution by the whole 30 shillings, so that he was now giving more than half his income to the church.

Compare to what each of us would do if our pay doubled today.

"The last part of a man to be converted is his wallet." -- John Wesley