Friday, July 31, 2009

Tomato Seeds


In a moment of inspiration, my beloved bride, Melanie, wrote these thoughts last week. As always, she moved me, from simple imagery to profound meaning. I post this to honor my heart's companion and best friend. Thank you sweetheart!

I was able to visit my 88 year old Grandmother in Richmond recently. She gave me a gift. A half ripened tomato from her garden. I held it as if it were the greatest gift and told her I would "treasure it forever!" We laughed...

This single tomato made the trip from Virginia to Tennessee and it sat on my window sill for a week or so, ripening in the bright TN sun. I smiled each time I saw it as I remembered our visit. I hesitated to slice it and eat it, for then the gift would be gone. And that got me thinking...seeds! I would make this a true "heirloom tomato." I would save the seeds from this delicious tomato and use them to grow more of this delectable treat next summer and I would remember her sweet gift each time one was harvested from the garden. As I was scraping out the seeds from this lone tomato, another thought occurred to me...

"Wow, there are SO MANY!" I thought of God's creation and how amazing that from this one small tomato that THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS more could be produced. The exponential impact that this one small tomato could have boggles the mind. From one, comes many. This is not only true of tomatoes, but I thought of other fruits and vegetables produced by God. Watermelon, cantaloupe, cucumbers, oranges etc...We often view these seeds as a nuisance... an annoyance to our enjoyment of the sweetness that lies within...

What if instead of discarding these seeds into the trash, what if I treasured them as I should? What if I saw them for the potential that they are? LIFE! Especially in a world where starvation is rampant and apathy reigns...

I thought, "How simple!" Starvation around the world could be impacted to a great degree if we only saved the seeds that we simply discard as trash. You only need soil, seeds, water and sun. But then it hit me, you also need time. It is this element that is most vital...TIME...I don't take the TIME. The potential is there, I just don't make the effort. What a waste!! If only we saved the thousands of discarded seeds and used them to produce life what an impact we could have on our world locally and globally. Landfills are literally filled with rotting potential for life...

God somehow whispered a spiritual lesson to me in all of this as well. That is usually the point, but the noise of my world often deafens me.

Each of us, as small and seemingly insignificant as a tomato seed, can produce life and have a huge impact on our world both physically and spiritually. We can produce ripples through the lives of others like a pebble tossed into a pond on a cool Fall morning.

We just need to take the time...

-Melanie Barham

3 comments:

Jenny Barker said...

So simple, yet so profound. Thanks Dean and Melanie! We're so blessed to have you as part of our family at Woodmont Hills.

Jenna Love said...

Hi Melanie~

What wonderful insight! We live in such a disposable society. Everything has to come to us all ready and packaged and nice and clean. But we really do forget that everything has a beginning, and to nurture each beginning with time and patience and love can open the door to so many beautiful opportunities.

You write beautifully, Melanie! What a gift.

~Jenna Schrader

sharilyn said...

wow.

"God somehow whispered a spiritual lesson to me in all of this as well. That is usually the point, but the noise of my world often deafens me" ... love this!! so very true...

thank you for sharing..