Monday, March 24, 2008

The Easter Effect

As recent posts reveal, I have just been captivated by the richness of the historical language of the Christian faith, both the language of God's inspired Scripture, and also the richness of the practice of prayer known as the "Daily Office" or fixed hour prayer. One aspect of the daily prayers is known as the "collect," which is a kind of prayer that specifically reminds us that we don't just pray personally and individually, but as part of the larger Story of God and as just one member of the community of God. Jesus himself gave this kind of collect reminder when in the Lord's Prayer he called us to say, not "my Father," but rather, "Our Father." With this in mind, I turn my attention to the collect for Easter-time, in which we find ourselves now. This prayer not only connects us to the larger community of faith, but reminds us of our calling, of the effect that Easter is supposed to have on us. Here is the Easter Collect:

In the Paschal Mystery, Almighty God, You established the new covenant of reconciliation. Grant, we pray, that all who have been reborn into the fellowship of Christ's Body may show forth in our lives what we profess by our faith.

I thank you my God, for reminding me and all your people that Easter is not just a time when we recall the fact that Jesus is alive and working to bring about your new creation in the world, but that you invite us to display in our lives the reality of this very new creation which we profess. For your glory we pray that you might fulfill this prayer in our lives this season. Amen.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Dean -

Just wanted to say hello from Dallas Texas! I was sitting in church yesterday and for some reason it just popped in my head, "I think I remember someone saying that Dean has podcasts - and now I have an Ipod..hmm". Not sure what led me to that thought but anyway, put it on my "to do" list (it's tax season - I have to put showering on my to do list or I'll forget it!) and here I am. I googled you (impressive number of hits, by the way).

Anyway, so happy to hear about what's going on at your new church - and I'm officially signed up to get the new podcasts as they come out!

Life is great here - entering my 4th year out of Tech (gasp) and finally getting my arms around the working world. I moved to Europe for four months last summer to work in our Munich office. Very cool experience. Dating a wonderful man for about 2 years now. Life is good.

I look forward to keeping up with you via your sermons! I must admit I listened to about 5 minutes of one of the older sermons on the website and hearing your voice was like a warm blanket to me. :)

Hi to Melanie and the kids!

Love, Jessica Hasten

Journeyman said...

Jessica! It's so great to hear from you. I'm not surprised to hear how well you're doing, but I am so excited for you. The opportunities it seems like you've had sound wonderful. I'd love to hear more. Don't know if you're on facebook, but if so, let's connect there too. Melanie says hey too. You won't believe how the kids have grown! Oh, last thing, we'll actually be in the Dallas area for the Zoe conference the week of June 20. Maybe we can connect there. God bless!